Wednesday 15 April 2009

Filling up my freezer!

I'm finding it very satisfying at the moment to cook huge meals, eat one portion and freeze the other portions individually (usually 3 extra portions). It's the Easter holidays at the moment, so I have plenty of time to cook during the evenings. During term time, I get home late and usually rely on ready meals. It seems pointless cooking for one person (I usually cook when Andy comes over) and I don't like having to eat the same meal the next day. I also don't have the time / energy to do fiddly jobs like finely chopping chillies, garlic and ginger.

So this week I've been cooking - Bolognese sauce, lamb tagine, lamb curry, chicken satay and beef suffatina alla Romana (almost all involving tinned tomatoes, you might notice!) - and freezing it in individual bags. This way, all I need to do is get something out to defrost in the morning, then cook up some pasta / rice / cous cous and reheat the sauce. And I know I'll be getting a home-cooked, healthy meal which will be much better for me than bland ready meals full of preservatives. All the meals I've cooked contain onion, tinned tomatoes and at least one other vegetable so I'll get a few portions of vegetables in each plus a decent amount of protein from the meat.

My only slight problem is a lack of freezer space (only a very small freezer compartment in my fridge), but I reckon I can get 15 bags of sauce in there if I roll them up and pack them efficiently! It's very satisfying to watch my freezer filling up day-by-day and see all the delicious meals I have to look forward to over the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment